Everyday we are faced with ups and downs in life. But then you are faced with a fear. A fear of losing someone forever. I have been lucky. My parents have been relatively well with no major illnesses. Well they are getting older and tomorrow my dad is going in for an operation that is pretty serious. If all goes well, he should be fine. BUT.....today, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
You know that cute little old couple that lives a simple life? That cuts coupons and runs for the supermarket sales? That couple that never think of being separated they are as if they are one. Relying on each other for everything. They have a marriage that I wish I had. And then my mom says to me...I can't live without him and quite frankly, I don't think she can.
Simplicity has its drawbacks as well. You see, I take care of them in a way. When ever their is a ruffle in their simple life, I come in and take care of it....keeping their simple life in place. Like today, he needed pre-surgical clearance, his physician had problems obtaining the testing results (over 2hours trying). My dad called me panicked. Yes, I name dropped, made some calls and had the results in 10 minutes. I am a control freak, I know that.....so its times like this when I know I have no control that are the hardest for me.
Tonight's post has no sexual tone to it...I guess it is about balance. About growing old and being that little happy couple. One day, I hope to have such simplicity and enjoy cutting coupons. But for now, I pray that my parents life will keep that same simple life they have enjoyed for over 45 years together.
1 comment:
I think that balance and that simplicity is possible BEFORE people get to an advanced age, but it takes so much constant vigilance and work to make/maintain it that way. I think I have it now, largely, but the lack of affection or intimacy from my spouse is like a tiny pebble in my shoe --- it affects everything else negatively, and keeps me on edge.
XO
Post a Comment